
The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has declared the end of an Ebola virus outbreak that re-emerged six weeks ago in the country’s North Kivu Province, however an outbreak in Uganda continues.
With only one confirmed case, the Democratic Republic of Congo made the declaration today (September 27).
The outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo were reportedly caused by the Zaire ebolavirus – one of the six species of the Ebola genus.
An analysis of samples from confirmed cases also showed that the outbreak was genetically linked to 2018–2020 Ebola outbreak in North Kivu and Ituri provinces – the longest and largest in the country’s history.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the end of this outbreak can be attributed to the country’s improved readiness and response to the outbreak.
“Only a few days after the outbreak in North Kivu was declared, the health authorities rolled out a vaccination drive using the ring strategy. More than 500 people were vaccinated including 350 contacts, contacts of contacts and frontline workers,” said the WHO in a press release today (September 27).

People who came into close contact with those who had the virus were also monitored over 21 days and cleared once they were not high-risk.
However, despite having declared the end of the Ebola virus outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, health authorities remain vigilant, especially since neighbouring country, Uganda, is still experiencing an outbreak of the Sudan ebolavirus.
Ebola outbreak continues in Uganda
Uganda’s outbreak was declared last week and is said to be unrelated to the outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
“The Democratic Republic of the Congo has built up impressive expertise in controlling the virus and we can marshal the lessons learnt to beat back the Ebola outbreak in Uganda,” said Dr Matshidiso Moeti, World Health Organization (WHO) regional director for Africa.
Moeti noted that there is currently no vaccine for the Sudan ebolavirus but the WHO “can and have brought Ebola to heel with robust contact tracing, detection, isolation of cases and good supportive care”.

Currently there are three affected districts in Uganda, these include: Mubende, Kyegegwa and Kassanda.
Across the three districts there have been 23 deaths confirmed, 36 cases (18 other confirmed cases and 18 probable cases) and 30 people undergoing care at medical facilities.
Through its Contingency Fund for Emergencies, WHO is providing US$500,000 to support Uganda’s Ebola control efforts and another US$300,000 from its preparedness programme to support readiness activities in the neighbouring countries.
The WHO has also donated tree viral haemorrhagic fever kits with medical supplies, medicines and personal protective equipment.
In addition, they are working with Uganda and neighbouring countries to conduct contact tracing and improve readiness in health districts.
Comments