News
| Jun 12, 2021

Trinidad COVID death toll jumps to 644

/ Our Today

administrator
Reading Time: 2 minutes

200,000 Sinopharm vaccines headed there now

Terrence Deyalsingh, Trinidad and Tobago’s minister of health. (Photo: Facebook @MinistryofHealthTT)

Fourteen more people have died from COVID-19 in Trinidad and Tobago, pushing the pandemic death toll to 644 persons.

According to the latest update from the Terrence Deyalsingh-led Ministry of Health in the twin-island republic, there were 300 new positive cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of active cases in the country to 9,543 patients.

The Ministry explained that these new cases are based on samples taken between June 5th and 10th, 2021. Recoveries total 18,009.

In the meantime, the twin-island’s stock of COVID-19 vaccines will increase by 213,500 this week with more donations from Caricom countries and the first shipment of purchased vaccines from China.

Yesterday the country’s Air Guard transported 8,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccines from Grenada and 5,500 from St Vincent and the Grenadines. Both Grenada and St Vincent previously donated 10,000 and 16,000 AstraZeneca doses because people on those islands were hesitant to take that vaccine. 

Chinese COVID-19 vaccine now being delivered

China’s Ambassador to Trinidad and Tobago Fang Qiu has disclosed that 200,000 doses of the country’s Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines purchased by the Rowley administration are on their way. 

A nurse holds a vial of China’s Sinopharm coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccine. (File Photo: REUTERS/Leonardo Fernandez Viloria)

“This is gonna be the first delivered batch procured COVID-19 vaccines among all kinds in the Caribbean. A big plus to the mass vaccination drive. China continues to stand together with TT against the pandemic,” the ambassador said. 

Foreign and Caricom Affairs Minister, Dr Amery Browne told the Senate on Friday (June 11) that the shipment from China was now expected “early next week”.

The additional vaccines come after come chaos in the past week’s vaccine rollout with the ministry allowing people to visit facilities without an appointment. This led to long lines and large crowds at vaccine sites, as well as many people being turned away because they were ineligible or there were limited vaccines.

Comments

What To Read Next