
The province of Ontario has invoked a state of emergency in an attempt to end the current blockade that has crippled trade between Canada and the United States.
The provincial government has declared that it will use the threat of hefty fines, jail time and vehicle licence seizures to force demonstrators to comply. Penalties for blocking key routes, including bridges and highways, would include fines as high as C$100,000 and up to a year in jail.
Border traffic at the Ambassador Bridge, which links Windsor to Detroit, has been shut down since Monday (February 7), as part of a nationwide protest against pandemic restrictions, snarling nearly C$300m (US$235m) of trade each day.
Friday afternoon, a court granted the city of Windsor an injunction to forcibly remove protesters from the international bridge.
The injunction took effect at 7:00 pm in order to give protestors time to leave. Mayor Drew Dilkens has called the blockade “a national crisis” as officials in the US have grown impatient with the stalemate.
Mayor called for an end to Ottawo siege

He called on protesters to end the “siege” of Ottawa that has dragged on for more than two weeks, saying they were effectively holding residents of the city hostage. The injunction came after Ontario premier, Doug Ford announced the province’s plan to combat the “disruption, intimidation, and chaos” of protests that have paralyzed the country’s most critical trade route.
Yesterday’s announcement by Ford, leader of the Progress Conservative party of Ontario, marks his government’s second legal action against protesters and their truck blockades. Earlier this week, his government obtained a court order to freeze any donations meant for the protesters raised through GiveSendGo.
This was done using a provision of Canada’s criminal code includes a clause that allows funds outside the country to be frozen. Ford’s declaration of a state of emergency in the province follows a similar declaration by the city of Ottawa last week, and comes in sharp contrast to federal Conservatives, who previously cheered on the protesters but have started backtracking their support.
PM Trudeau says measures are responsible and necessary
Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau described the measures announced by Ford as “responsible and necessary”, adding that his government was looking at various options to end the blockade. Trudeau said officials were worried about the prospect of violence but said that bringing in the military was a last resort.
The prime minister also promised US President Joe Biden quick action to end a crisis that has disrupted North America’s auto industry. Ahead of Ford’s announcement, protesters opened one lane of the bridge to allow traffic through.

However, as the delays ripple through the economy, a number of automakers, some of the largest employers in the region, have been forced to scale back production. President Biden had expressed concerns over auto plant closures and production slowdowns during a phone call with Trudeau yesterday, the White House said in a statement.
According to the statement, “the two leaders agreed that the actions of the individuals who are obstructing travel and commerce between our two countries are having significant direct impacts on citizens’ lives and livelihoods.”
Comments