
Finance Minister Dr Nigel Clarke has announced that the Accountant General has advanced a sum of $189 million to the Constituency Development Fund to assist the most vulnerable Jamaicans cope with any fallout from the implementation of seven no-movement days over the next two weeks.
The lockdown measures outlined by Prime Minister Andrew Holness on Thursday night are aimed at curbing the explosion of COVID-19 cases across the island.
Clarke’s announcement came around the same time or shortly after Opposition Leader Mark Golding lambasted the Government, during a press conference, for being reckless and uncaring in failing to provide assistance to the poor and most vulnerable who would likely suffer from the economic impact of the no-movement days.
In his comments on Twitter, Clarke said the funds would be used to provide care packages for vulnerable groups.
“For the sake of clarity it is unlikely that MPs will be able to access these funds today. However, they should be able to access next week,” the finance minister said.
“For the first quarter tax revenues are ahead of budget by approximately $12 billion as growth in economic activity over last year, now estimated at seven per cent – nine per cent by the PIOJ, exceeded the budgetary target of five per cent for the first quarter April to June 2021.
Clarke said this was good news as, while there remained a risk, the economic performance allowed some flexibility to provide the funds.
“We will be responding with measures that target the at-risk and vulnerable populations, within the realities outlined above, with a view to having these expenditures approved in the upcoming Supplementary Budget.”
Dr Nigel Clarke, minister of finance and the public service
“In September, we will table a Supplementary Budget that will revise expenditure for the remainder of the fiscal year. However, there is significant expenditure pressure in all areas, including from the @themohwgovjm where we need to finance the billions required for settlement of expenses for pharmaceuticals & medical supplies as well as direct expenditure to deal with the current COVID surge,” Clarke noted.
“There is need to respond to damages caused by flood rains among other areas. And there are several other challenges and pressing areas that will also need to be addressed.
“The GOJ is aware of the pressures brought on by COVID-19, including the impact of the measures on livelihoods and the global impact on prices which is unfolding in all countries around the world.
“We will be responding with measures that target the at-risk and vulnerable populations, within the realities outlined above, with a view to having these expenditures approved in the upcoming Supplementary Budget.
“It is important that economic growth, as we have seen in the first quarter, continues throughout the fiscal year. This is important for the GOJ to be able to meet its obligations. You can play your part by getting vaccinated.”
The seven days of total lockdown get under way on Sunday (August 22) and continue on August 23 and August 24.
The country will be on lockdown again on August 29, 30 and 31, before concluding on September 5.
Comments