Sport & Entertainment
| Dec 18, 2021

Cricket West Indies Selection Panel fired

/ Our Today

administrator
Reading Time: 2 minutes
Roger Harper, Cricket West Indies lead selector. (Photo: Cricket West Indies)

Arising from the poor performance of the West Indies in the ICCT20 World Cup earlier this year, Cricket West Indies (CWI) has fired lead selector Roger Harper and fellow selector Miles Bascbombe.

CWI said today that the contracts of Harper and Bascombe would not be renewed when they expire on December 31, 2021.

Meanwhile, an interim selection panel has been established, with Head Coach Phil Simmons at the helm, along with the captains in the respective men’s formats. Jimmy Adams, CWI’s Director of Cricket, will oversee the process.

“We want to thank Roger and Miles for their work and dedicated services to West Indies cricket in the last two years, as members of the Men’s Senior Selection Panel,” said Adams on the decision to part ways with Harper and Bascombe.

“Selecting West Indies teams for international competition is a very challenging and thankless assignment, and both gentlemen performed their roles with unprecedented transparency and dignity.”

Harper, meantime, said he was grateful to have been afforded the opportunity to lead the panel.

“I would like to thank CWI for the opportunity to serve West Indies cricket in the role of Lead Selector and I wish the organization the very best for the future,” said the former West Indies offspinner.

“I would also like to thank all those whose efforts and cooperation helped me to perform my role efficiently. Special thanks to Miles for his professionalism and teamwork. God bless.”

Miles Bascombe and Roger Harper. (Photo: WindiesCricket.com)

The West Indies Men’s next series is against Ireland at Sabina Park, Jamaica where they will play the three-match CG Insurance One-Day International Series on January 8, 11 and 14, and the one-off T20 International on January 16.

Comments

What To Read Next